This is a guest recipe from our friends at PaleoHacks. Fragrant barbacoa beef is slow cooked to tender, fall-apart perfection and served wrapped in Paleo tortillas for a crowd-pleasing meal.
Nothing says “easy weeknight dinner” quite like the crockpot. This handy kitchen gadget is especially useful for cooking large cuts of meat, like this chuck roast, without any need for babysitting.
A great barbacoa starts with a high-quality chuck roast. Grass-fed beef ensures the highest level of nutrients like antioxidant-rich CLA.
Get started by searing beef in ghee on both sides over medium-high heat. This process of lightly browning the meat is called a Maillard reaction, where the sugars are caramelized to create a higher depth of flavor. This process works on everything from beef to potatoes and even bread, making them much more appealing to the palate.
Once the meat is browned, transfer the beef and its droppings to the crockpot, and add in beef stock and smoky Mexican spices like cumin, smoked paprika, garlic, and onion powder. Turn the crockpot to low and cook for six to eight hours, or until the meat easily shreds using two forks. Serve the shredded barbacoa meat wrapped in warm and crispy Paleo tortillas and your favorite toppings for a complete meal.
Tip: You can prep this meal a few days in advance to save even more time! Simply shred the cooked meat and store sealed in the refrigerator for a quick meal that reheats in a snap.
This slow-cooked barbacoa can also be served:
- Over cauliflower rice
- Alongside pan-fried plantains
- Over zucchini noodles
- With fried or scrambled eggs for a protein-packed breakfast
PaleoHacks Slow-cooker Barbacoa Beef Tacos
Prep time- 10 minutes
Cook time- 8 hours, 8 minutes
Total time- 8 hours, 18 minutes
For the Barbacoa Tacos:
1 T ghee
3 lb. chuck roast
1 t dried oregano, divided
1/2 t sea salt, divided
1 t minced garlic
1 cup beef stock
1 T cumin
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/4 t onion powder
1. Melt ghee in a skillet over medium-high heat for two minutes.
2. Meanwhile, pat chuck roast dry with a paper towel. Season the roast with half of the sea salt and oregano on both sides.
3. Place the roast onto the hot skillet and brown for three minutes on each side. Add garlic to the pan for the last three minutes.
4. Transfer the roast and its drippings to the crockpot. Add beef stock, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, remaining sea salt, and oregano. Turn crockpot to low and cook 6-8 hours.
5. Shred the beef and serve over tortillas with chopped onion, cilantro, jalapeños, and lime wedges.
If you aren’t already a ButcherBox member, click here to get a special PaleoHacks deal of $15 off your first box and free bacon.