The great recipe team at Paleohacks has shared another tasty dish with Roam. This Mexican-inspired recipe features sweet potatoes stuffed with taco meat and topped with homemade guacamole for a single serving meal everyone will love!
Ditch the tortilla and stuff your favorite taco fixings inside tender roasted sweet potatoes for a filling and guilt-free meal.
Tacos are a dinner staple that everyone can agree on. However, when following a Paleo lifestyle, tortillas can be difficult to replace. Traditional tortillas and other grain-filled foods can cause bloating, which is why sweet potatoes are such a great alternative. Plus, they’re big enough to stuff with drool-worthy toppings for a fun twist on taco night.
Grass-fed ground beef carries the smoky taco spices, like cumin, onion powder, and chili powder. A little tomato paste adds to the tangy zip. And as we all know, no taco is complete without a scoop of creamy guacamole. This one is kept simple with chopped onion, cilantro, and jalapeños so you can mash it together while the meat sizzles on the stove.
Get started by greasing the sweet potatoes with avocado oil, which helps to lightly crisp up the skins. Bake for one hour, then let the sweet potatoes cool at room temperature while preparing the other ingredients.
Meanwhile, heat ground beef in a skillet until browned, then stir in dry seasonings, tomato paste, and a little water. Cook about five minutes more.
While the taco meat cooks, make the guacamole by mashing an avocado until just slightly chunky. Add red onion, cilantro, sea salt, and jalapeños.
When everything’s ready, slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise and fill it up with taco meat. Top with a scoop of guacamole and finish with freshly diced tomatoes. Enjoy it while it’s hot!
Other great toppings to include:
- Pickled jalapeño
- Diced mango
- Sliced radishes
- Chopped bell pepper
Tip: Try baking up a few additional sweet potatoes so you can have these decadent sweet potato brownies for dessert!
Taco-Stuffed Sweet Potato
Prep time- 10 minutes
Cook time- 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total time- 1 hour, 25 minutes
4 sweet potatoes
1 T avocado oil
1 lb ground beef
1 T ground cumin
2 t chili powder
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t cayenne pepper
2 T tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1 medium ripe avocado
2 T red onion, chopped
1 T cilantro
1 T minced jalapeños
1/4 t sea salt
1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Grease the outsides of the sweet potatoes with avocado oil and set on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, then let cool.
3. Meanwhile, heat ground beef in a skillet over medium heat, using a spatula to break up the meat. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in dry seasonings, tomato paste, and water until thoroughly combined. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
5. While the taco meat cooks, prepare the topping: Mash an avocado in a small bowl. Add the chopped red onion, cilantro, jalapeños, and sea salt. Stir well.
6. When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them down the center lengthwise. Stuff with the taco meat, then add a scoop of the guacamole and diced tomatoes and serve.
If you liked this recipe, then you’ll love this sweet potato cheeseburger casserole recipe that you can make with just one pan.